groovy-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <uschind...@apache.org>
Subject RE: trySetAccessible for Java 9
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2017 17:07:18 GMT
Hi,

I made this suggestion about a month ago! In Lucene/Elasticsearch we do everything with MethodHandles
that requires new Java 9 APIs (currently Elasticsearch’s Painless Script engine is the first
one that uses indy string concats!). In general I would not use an if/then/else construct
at all. Just try to get a MethodHandle to trySetAccessible(), if this fails get a MethodHandle
to a local/private method with same signature.

Finally you may need to adapt the MethodHandle to the right types and then call it _always_
with correct casting to make javac use correct types. Be sure to make the MethodHandle a static
final constant somewhere! This removed the need for a if/then/else on every call.

I may provide a patch, if you like. I’d just need some directions where to look at. Should
be a 10 liner.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

uschindler@apache.org

ASF Member, Apache Lucene PMC / Committer

Bremen, Germany

http://lucene.apache.org/