groovy-dev mailing list archives

From 孙 岚 <realblue...@hotmail.com>
Subject 答复: About the performance between master and GROOVY_2_5_X
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2017 00:57:10 GMT
Hi John,

       You can enable Parrot and run its related tests by passing `-PuseAntlr4=true` to gradle.
Since the new parser is not mature enough in the past, we had to disable it by default to
avoid some failed tests.

        Currently Parrot can parse all groovy source codes of Apache Groovy and other famous
groovy projects(e.g. Grails, Gradle, Spock, Geb) properly, so I am going to set aside some
time to enable Parrot by default in the master branch.

Cheers,

Daniel.Sun

________________________________
发件人: 孙 岚 <realbluesun@hotmail.com>
发送时间: 2017年4月21日 0:11
收件人: dev@groovy.apache.org
主题: About the performance between master and GROOVY_2_5_X

Hi all,

      I noticed that the performance of master is better than GROOVY_2_5_X.

      About 17% time saved when running tests in the TeamCity CI instance:
master costs 18m:55s(TeamCity CI, Parrot disabled)
http://ci.groovy-lang.org/viewLog.html?buildId=38801&tab=buildResultsDiv&buildTypeId=Groovy_Jdk8Build_2
GROOVY_2_5_X costs 22m:51s(TeamCity CI, without Parrot)
http://ci.groovy-lang.org/viewLog.html?buildId=38787&tab=buildResultsDiv&buildTypeId=Groovy_Jdk8Build_2

      And about 37% time saved when running tests in the Travis CI instance:
master costs 20 min 25 sec(Travis CI, Parrot enabled)
https://travis-ci.org/apache/groovy/builds/223991099
GROOVY_2_5_X costs 32 min 52 sec(Travis CI, without Parrot)
https://travis-ci.org/apache/groovy/builds/223816724

      Can we infer that the new parser Parrot does not impact the performance or even improve
the performance somehow?

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun