groovy-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.11 (take 2)
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2017 15:57:51 GMT
As per Cédric's request, I'd like to make the release window 36hrs, so I'll
target 36hrs assuming I get enough votes by then (unless there are any
objections).

Cheers, Paul.


On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 1:55 AM, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au> wrote:

> Dear community,
>
> I am happy to start the VOTE thread for a Groovy 2.4.11 release!
>
> This release includes 13 bug fixes/improvements as outlined in the
> changelog:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
> projectId=12318123&version=12340047
>
> Tag: https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=groovy.git;a=
> tag;h=refs/tags/GROOVY_2_4_11
> Tag commit id: 0496f7dc0cf3bd5188f910fb38935e6052b3bf49
>
> The artifacts to be voted on are located as follows (r19273).
> Source release: https://dist.apache.org/repos/
> dist/dev/groovy/2.4.11/sources
> Convenience binaries: https://dist.apache.org/repos/
> dist/dev/groovy/2.4.11/distribution
>
> Release artifacts are signed with a key from the following file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/KEYS
>
> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Groovy 2.4.11.
>
> The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at
> least three +1 PMC votes are cast.
>
> [ ] +1 Release Apache Groovy 2.4.11
> [ ]  0 I don't have a strong opinion about this, but I assume it's ok
> [ ] -1 Do not release Apache Groovy 2.4.11 because...
>
> Here is my vote:
>
> +1 (binding)
>
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 1:50 AM, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Hi Cédric,
>>
>> I agree that cancelling is a pain but trait generation bugs can be
>> particularly nasty for frameworks like grails. I believe the 72hr window is
>> a guideline and we can shorten if we have good reason. Given that a fair
>> bit of testing has already occurred on the previous candidate and the
>> latest fix was for a parameter that isn't normally used, I think it would
>> be fine to halve the release window to 36hr this time.
>>
>> Cheers, Paul.
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Cédric Champeau <
>> cedric.champeau@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> @Paul do you think we can have a release by tomorrow? It seems to be
>>> hard given the 48h vote. Basically cancelling this vote forces us to
>>> release Gradle 4.0-milestone-1 with a snapshot version of Groovy (duh).
>>>
>>> 2017-04-26 17:08 GMT+02:00 John Wagenleitner <
>>> john.wagenleitner@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>>> Hi Paul,
>>>>
>>>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I think John that it is because of the GROOVY-8127 bug that those
>>>>> tests are failing. The datastoreVersion of 6.1.1 will be built with a
>>>>> version of Groovy containing that bug. Building with 2.4.7 or earlier
or
>>>>> 2.4.11 and later should be okay. I haven't tested all of the versions
in
>>>>> between but I think some will fail. Using a local snapshot build
>>>>> (6.1.3-BUILD-SNAPSHOT) built with 2.4.11 works for me, i.e. all tests
in
>>>>> grails-core pass.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> That makes sense and I thought it might be something like that but
>>>> wasn't sure.  I was testing by performing a './gradlew install' on the
>>>> Groovy side and then running the tests for Grails master after changing the
>>>> version of Groovy in build.gradle.  Was building against whichever version
>>>> of datastore it builds with.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> But while investigating I did find something not quite right with the
>>>>> fix for GROOVY-8127 fix. It's the value we pass through for a generally
>>>>> (always?) unused parameter and I couldn't actually trigger an error with
>>>>> the bad value in place (optimised away?) but in the interests of being
>>>>> conservative I will re-cut the build.
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers, Paul.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 7:09 PM, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au>
wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> John, what steps are you using to test?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 3:10 PM, John Wagenleitner <
>>>>>> john.wagenleitner@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> 0 (binding)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I am finding that the fix [1] for GROOVY-8127 is causing a number
of
>>>>>>> test failures [2] on the Grails master branch mostly related
to the
>>>>>>> DirtyCheckable trait [3].  Same tests pass with 2.4.10.  Lack
of knowledge
>>>>>>> in this area so thus the neutral vote instead of -1.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> [1] https://github.com/apache/groovy/commit/3ab66db22e59baf6
>>>>>>> 9aa2977c838881f2e93d16bc
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> [2] just a sample, but all failures seem to be related to the
>>>>>>> DirtyCheckable trait
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
>>>>>>> ....
>>>>>>> Caused by: groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of
>>>>>>> method: static org.grails.datastore.mapping.d
>>>>>>> irty.checking.DirtyCheckable.$static$init$org_grails_datasto
>>>>>>> re_mapping_dirty_checking_DirtyCheckable__DIRTY_CLASS_MARKER()
is
>>>>>>> applicable for argument types: (java.lang.Class) values: [class
>>>>>>> org.grails.plugins.web.rest.render.hal.Product]
>>>>>>> at
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> [3] https://github.com/grails/grails-data-mapping/blob/4bbba
>>>>>>> 4a20d180244bd1f06e226879e50c36a92c7/grails-datastore-core/sr
>>>>>>> c/main/groovy/org/grails/datastore/mapping/dirty/checking/Di
>>>>>>> rtyCheckable.groovy
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 3:09 PM, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au>
>>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Dear community,
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I am happy to start the VOTE thread for a Groovy 2.4.11 release!
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> This release includes 11 bug fixes/improvements as outlined
in the
>>>>>>>> changelog:
>>>>>>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?proje
>>>>>>>> ctId=12318123&version=12340047
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Tag: https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=groovy.git;a=tag
>>>>>>>> ;h=refs/tags/GROOVY_2_4_11
>>>>>>>> Tag commit id: 76fece1ebb942eccc0af291932bc2a33fd7946c7
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> The artifacts to be voted on are located as follows (r19245).
>>>>>>>> Source release: https://dist.apache.org/repos/
>>>>>>>> dist/dev/groovy/2.4.11/sources
>>>>>>>> Convenience binaries: https://dist.apache.org/repos/
>>>>>>>> dist/dev/groovy/2.4.11/distribution
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Release artifacts are signed with a key from the following
file:
>>>>>>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/KEYS
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Groovy 2.4.11.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority
of
>>>>>>>> at least three +1 PMC votes are cast.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> [ ] +1 Release Apache Groovy 2.4.11
>>>>>>>> [ ]  0 I don't have a strong opinion about this, but I assume
it's
>>>>>>>> ok
>>>>>>>> [ ] -1 Do not release Apache Groovy 2.4.11 because...
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Here is my vote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> +1 (binding)
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>

Mime
View raw message