groovy-dev mailing list archives

From John Wagenleitner <john.wagenleit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About the performance between master and GROOVY_2_5_X
Date Thu, 20 Apr 2017 17:24:03 GMT
On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 9:11 AM, 孙 岚 <realbluesun@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>       I noticed that the performance of master is better than GROOVY_2_5_X.
>
>       About *17% time saved* when running tests in the TeamCity CI
> instance:
> *master costs 18m:55s(TeamCity CI, Parrot disabled)*
> http://ci.groovy-lang.org/viewLog.html?buildId=38801&tab=buildResultsDiv&
> buildTypeId=Groovy_Jdk8Build_2
> *GROOVY_2_5_X costs 22m:51s(TeamCity CI, without Parrot)*
> http://ci.groovy-lang.org/viewLog.html?buildId=38787&tab=buildResultsDiv&
> buildTypeId=Groovy_Jdk8Build_2
>
>       And about *37% time saved* when running tests in the Travis CI
> instance:
> *master costs 20 min 25 sec(Travis CI, Parrot enabled)*
> https://travis-ci.org/apache/groovy/builds/223991099
> *GROOVY_2_5_X costs 32 min 52 sec(Travis CI, without Parrot)*
> https://travis-ci.org/apache/groovy/builds/223816724
>
>       Can we infer that the new parser Parrot does not impact the
> performance or even improve the performance somehow?

One possible other difference is that master is using Gradle v3.5 and 2_5_X
is 3.4, though that probably would not account for such a big difference.

Just as a side note, does Parrot need to be included as a subproject in
settings.gradle?  I see the Travis build sets the -PuseAntlr4=true, but is
that really enough to enable Parrot for all compilation and run it's tests?