groovy-dev mailing list archives

From John Wagenleitner <john.wagenleit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: build requirements for Groovy and language level in master
Date Sun, 09 Apr 2017 20:20:59 GMT
On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 1:11 AM, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> so if we want to be serious about JDK9 support and not life with a
> thousands of warnings displayed whenever you try to execute a Groovy
> program or test (44k+ in our build for example)... then we will need JDK9
> specific code.
>
> That means we will have to change our build to support optional JDK9 code,
> like we did in the past several times already. That also means a full build
> will require JDK9 a lower JDK will not make a full build then. And once
> Cedric fixed JDK9 support in gradle... ahem... poor guy. Anyway, I would
> like to hear thoughts about this from the others.

I don't have a strong opinion here and the fact that it will run on jdk9
(even with 44k warnings) at this point sounds good to me. Since things are
still in flux it might be worth waiting a while.

> And then there is the matter of going to JDK8 master is supposed to be
> Groovy 3 did we say we want to go to JDK8 here? I think that would be
> nice... and of course if JDK8 is the minimum could start thinking about
> having indy enabled by default. Here too I would to hear what people think

I would be in favor of setting jdk8, indy (and parrot) as defaults in
master (v3).

I think an important decision to be made is how much backward compatibility
should be kept in v3. I do understand the concerns raised about backwards
compatibility (ala Python 2/3), but think there could be some benefit from
being able to focus on some of the significant architectural changes
without being contained by the need to retain compatibility.