groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Suderman <suder...@anc.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.11 (take 2)
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2017 21:49:30 GMT
+1

Builds. Runs.  All tests pass.  Tested both code from the GitHub mirror and sources.zip.

Keith

> On Apr 26, 2017, at 4:08 PM, Guillaume Laforge <glaforge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> +1 (binding)
>
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 9:58 PM, John Wagenleitner <john.wagenleitner@gmail.com <mailto:john.wagenleitner@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> +1 (binding)
>
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 8:55 AM, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au <mailto:paulk@asert.com.au>>
wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> I am happy to start the VOTE thread for a Groovy 2.4.11 release!
>
> This release includes 13 bug fixes/improvements as outlined in the changelog:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318123&version=12340047
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318123&version=12340047>

> Tag: https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=groovy.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/GROOVY_2_4_11
<https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=groovy.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/GROOVY_2_4_11>
> Tag commit id: 0496f7dc0cf3bd5188f910fb38935e6052b3bf49
>
> The artifacts to be voted on are located as follows (r19273).
> Source release: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/2.4.11/sources <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/2.4.11/sources>
> Convenience binaries: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/2.4.11/distribution
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/2.4.11/distribution>

> Release artifacts are signed with a key from the following file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/KEYS <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/KEYS>
>
> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Groovy 2.4.11.
>
> The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least three +1
PMC votes are cast.

> [ ] +1 Release Apache Groovy 2.4.11
> [ ]  0 I don't have a strong opinion about this, but I assume it's ok
> [ ] -1 Do not release Apache Groovy 2.4.11 because...
>
> Here is my vote:
>
> +1 (binding)
>
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 1:50 AM, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au <mailto:paulk@asert.com.au>>
wrote:
> Hi Cédric,
>
> I agree that cancelling is a pain but trait generation bugs can be particularly nasty
for frameworks like grails. I believe the 72hr window is a guideline and we can shorten if
we have good reason. Given that a fair bit of testing has already occurred on the previous
candidate and the latest fix was for a parameter that isn't normally used, I think it would
be fine to halve the release window to 36hr this time.

> Cheers, Paul.
>
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Cédric Champeau <cedric.champeau@gmail.com <mailto:cedric.champeau@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> @Paul do you think we can have a release by tomorrow? It seems to be hard given the 48h
vote. Basically cancelling this vote forces us to release Gradle 4.0-milestone-1 with a snapshot
version of Groovy (duh).

> Hi Paul,
>
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au <mailto:paulk@asert.com.au>>
wrote:
> I think John that it is because of the GROOVY-8127 bug that those tests are failing.
The datastoreVersion of 6.1.1 will be built with a version of Groovy containing that bug.
Building with 2.4.7 or earlier or 2.4.11 and later should be okay. I haven't tested all of
the versions in between but I think some will fail. Using a local snapshot build (6.1.3-BUILD-SNAPSHOT)
built with 2.4.11 works for me, i.e. all tests in grails-core pass.

> That makes sense and I thought it might be something like that but wasn't sure.  I was
testing by performing a './gradlew install' on the Groovy side and then running the tests
for Grails master after changing the version of Groovy in build.gradle.  Was building against
whichever version of datastore it builds with.

> But while investigating I did find something not quite right with the fix for GROOVY-8127
fix. It's the value we pass through for a generally (always?) unused parameter and I couldn't
actually trigger an error with the bad value in place (optimised away?) but in the interests
of being conservative I will re-cut the build.

> Cheers, Paul.
>
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 7:09 PM, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au <mailto:paulk@asert.com.au>>
wrote:
> John, what steps are you using to test?
>
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 3:10 PM, John Wagenleitner <john.wagenleitner@gmail.com <mailto:john.wagenleitner@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> 0 (binding)
>
> I am finding that the fix [1] for GROOVY-8127 is causing a number of test failures [2]
on the Grails master branch mostly related to the DirtyCheckable trait [3].  Same tests pass
with 2.4.10.  Lack of knowledge in this area so thus the neutral vote instead of -1.

> [1] https://github.com/apache/groovy/commit/3ab66db22e59baf69aa2977c838881f2e93d16bc
<https://github.com/apache/groovy/commit/3ab66db22e59baf69aa2977c838881f2e93d16bc>

> [2] just a sample, but all failures seem to be related to the DirtyCheckable trait
>
> java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
> Caused by: groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: static org.grails.datastore.mapping.dirty.checking.DirtyCheckable.$static$init$org_grails_datastore_mapping_dirty_checking_DirtyCheckable__DIRTY_CLASS_MARKER()
is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.Class) values: [class org.grails.plugins.web.rest.re
<http://org.grails.plugins.web.rest.re/>nder.hal.Product]
> 	at
>
> [3] https://github.com/grails/grails-data-mapping/blob/4bbba4a20d180244bd1f06e226879e50c36a92c7/grails-datastore-core/src/main/groovy/org/grails/datastore/mapping/dirty/checking/DirtyCheckable.groovy
<https://github.com/grails/grails-data-mapping/blob/4bbba4a20d180244bd1f06e226879e50c36a92c7/grails-datastore-core/src/main/groovy/org/grails/datastore/mapping/dirty/checking/DirtyCheckable.groovy>

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 3:09 PM, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au <mailto:paulk@asert.com.au>>
wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> I am happy to start the VOTE thread for a Groovy 2.4.11 release!
>
> This release includes 11 bug fixes/improvements as outlined in the changelog:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318123&version=12340047
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12318123&version=12340047>

> Tag: https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=groovy.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/GROOVY_2_4_11
<https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=groovy.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/GROOVY_2_4_11>
> Tag commit id: 76fece1ebb942eccc0af291932bc2a33fd7946c7
>
> The artifacts to be voted on are located as follows (r19245).
> Source release: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/2.4.11/sources <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/2.4.11/sources>
> Convenience binaries: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/2.4.11/distribution
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/2.4.11/distribution>

> Release artifacts are signed with a key from the following file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/KEYS <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/groovy/KEYS>
>
> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Groovy 2.4.11.
>
> The vote is open for the next 72 hours and passes if a majority of at least three +1
PMC votes are cast.

> [ ] +1 Release Apache Groovy 2.4.11
> [ ]  0 I don't have a strong opinion about this, but I assume it's ok
> [ ] -1 Do not release Apache Groovy 2.4.11 because...
>
> Here is my vote:
>
> +1 (binding)

> --
> Guillaume Laforge