groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: GPars 1, 2, and 3
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2017 21:54:22 GMT
On 14.03.2017 12:06, Russel Winder wrote:
[...]
> I also note that JDK9 may have some features that require a rethink of
> some GPars implementation detail for a JDK and later specific GPars.
> cf. http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/html/j9mm.html

yes, VarHandles are something to take a look at for sure.

> So the overall plot seems to be:
>
> GPars 1.X effectively abandoned
> GPars 2.x JDK8 and above only due 2017-07
> GPars 3.x JDK9 and above in planning.

sounds like a plan to me

> It might be worth thinking about whether GPars has a real future since
> so few people seem to be interested in actively working on it. With
> Quasar (Parallel Universe thing not Quasar Framework) there is a
> fibers, actors, CSP framework with resources behind it. OK so no proper
> dataflow out of the box, but it could be added.

you mean http://www.paralleluniverse.co/quasar/ ?
Fibers there work based on agents and bytecode rewriting? CSP I have not
seen, but I did not look to closely. License wise it might be ok, since
it offers EPL 1.0 dual with GPL3 (the later would not be ok for us).

But frankly, if I am right about the fibers, then this part is no option
for me. That leaves the CSP part, which I did not see and actors. Is it
really worth it then?

bye Jochen