groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: Maven coordinates going forward
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2017 14:59:04 GMT
On Mon, 2017-03-27 at 23:57 +1000, Paul King wrote:
> Hi, it's still a little while away but we'll soon begin the work on
> what will be called Groovy 3 or Groovy 4 - the exact version number
> is
> potentially up for further debate depending on how other upcoming
> Parrot back port work pans out but we are not asking for feedback on
> that right now.

Some of us are already using Groovy 3.0.0. ;-)

> This new version of Groovy will have the new Parrot parser merged.
> We're also planning to require JDK8 and it might have some other
> breaking changes depending on how things pan out. There has been
> discussion in the past that Apache Groovy might (should?) change the
> Maven coordinates to have group org.apache.groovy rather than
> org.codehaus.groovy. Previously we have spoken about not doing that
> before some major release point. The Groovy team is now interested in
> your feedback as to whether this new version might be the right time
> to make that change.

I am all for requiring JDK8 for Groovy 3 *AND* getting rid of the build
of two lots of artefacts. Either we go with indy or we don't, I sugegst
that Groovy 3 is the right place to go with only indy and drop the
previous stuff. If the indy codes are slower then we fix it.

> Obviously, we'll need to publicise the change to make sure people can
> find the new versions but we are particularly interested in feedback
> on whether anyone would be adversely affected by such a change.
>
> Comments welcome,

I am always willing to make comments. Actions less likely. ;-) Well
unless it is GPars and Gant anyway.

--
Russel.