groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject GPars 1, 2, and 3
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2017 11:06:20 GMT
Once JAXFinance and DevoxxUK are over I will (finally) be able to get
back to progressing GPars 2.0 to releasability. I also have to release
Gant to try and find out how to release via
JCenter/Bintray/Artifactory, good knowledge for GPars. Something nearly
got done in January but that effort fell at the last hurdle.

I also note that JDK9 may have some features that require a rethink of
some GPars implementation detail for a JDK and later specific GPars.
cf. http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/html/j9mm.html

So the overall plot seems to be:

GPars 1.X effectively abandoned
GPars 2.x JDK8 and above only due 2017-07
GPars 3.x JDK9 and above in planning.

It might be worth thinking about whether GPars has a real future since
so few people seem to be interested in actively working on it. With
Quasar (Parallel Universe thing not Quasar Framework) there is a
fibers, actors, CSP framework with resources behind it. OK so no proper
dataflow out of the box, but it could be added.

--
Russel.