groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Suderman <suder...@anc.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Groovy Roadmap
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2017 16:11:14 GMT
I will let the PMC decide on the exact numbering and what goes where.  However;

+1 on getting Macros and Parrot out the door and available in a 2.x compatible version as
soon as possible.

> On Feb 7, 2017, at 9:59 AM, Jesper Steen Møller <jesper@selskabet.org> wrote:
>
> Well, I didn't see many actually object to the contents or order that you suggested,
but primarily the numbering. I'll give it another go.

> The vote thread seemed to raise three issues:
> 1) Whether or not to provide the parrot parser as a standalone option ASAP (this is actually
quite a bit of work)
> 2) How to best design the semantics of lambda expressions in Groovy
> 3) How to deal with Groovy in JDK9 with or without breaking changes (i.e. still support
Groovy 2.x in JDK9 WITHOUT Jigsaw, but only Groovy 3.x WITH Jigsaw, because of indy and new
package names, which both break old classfiles and perhaps source).

> If we're very pedantic about semantic versions, we'll have to bump major numbers each
time we raise the minimum runtime requirement. But - what if we're less pedantic? We could
restate our semantic versioning interpretation to be that the 2.x line will be source code
compatible with previous 2.x Groovy sources, but with higher JVM runtime environment requirements.
> I.e. you can still run your old Groovy-compiled classfiles with Groovy 2.x. So they're
compatible, you just need a newer runtime...
> As for Parrot: It has been backported to 1.7, and while it would require testing, I can't
see the reason for marking it a breaking change.

> I think we should raise these three discussion points as separate threads, and restart
the vote, but with two flavours:

> YES-1:
>  - Groovy 2.5: integrates macros and requires Java 7, to be released ASAP, we've been
waiting for this for too long
>  - Groovy 2.6: integrate Parrot, implying backporting Parrot to Java 7
>  - Groovy 3.0: integrate Jigsaw and drop old callsite caching + use indy. The only version
with necessary breaking  changes (we have no choice here)