Here's another idea:

What if this new operator and other syntax changes were to be introduced as parser/compiler plugins?

This way the core syntax stays the same yet it may open the possibility for certain groups to enhance the Groovy syntax according to their needs without affecting everyone else.

Don't how how feasible this is given that it requires changes to both parser and compiler APIs.

Cheers,
Andres

Java Champion; Groovy Enthusiast
http://jroller.com/aalmiray
http://www.linkedin.com/in/aalmiray
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.