groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: next releases
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2017 16:35:23 GMT

On 17.01.2017 16:30, John Wagenleitner wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 1:55 AM, Daniel Sun <realbluesun@hotmail.com
> <mailto:realbluesun@hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Andres,
>
>     > I'd suggest to release 2.5.0-beta and 3.0-ea together. Just like the JDK
>     > team has been posting JDK9 EA releases, we could do the same. We know for
>     > a fact we're going to break things, so let's make sure the public has
>     > ample time to test out the changes.
>
> I like the idea of turning master into 2_5_X and releasing a beta and
> then rebranding master as 3.0 and master would have parrot, jdk8 min,
> and indy as default.  Only thing is that I think it would be good to
> release a 2.5 beta and not wait until a 3.0 ea is ready, since I think
> it would take some time to prep master for a release of a 3.0 ea.

I think we would release 2.5-beta and 3.0-ea at the same time. The only
differences between them at this point in time would be 3.0 requiring
java8, has only indy and parrot as default. In 2.5 it is java7, old
parser as default and indy extra. The differences in code would be only
the settings of defaults. So 3.0 would get some changes in the code that
looks-up the parser and in the build files to no longer produce the
version without indy. From there on there will be further changes of
course. backporting pull requests can become a problem, but well... we
will hvae that problem at one point or not?

bye Jochen