groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: release process
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2017 14:03:46 GMT

On 24.01.2017 14:50, Graeme Rocher wrote:
> Is the plan for 3.0 to break binary compatibility for existing libraries?
>
> Personally I don't think we should ever have a version that we call
> "blow everything up version" that would be a big red flag for me.
> Imagine Oracle announcing the Java JDK "blow everything up" edition.

you mean like Java9 with jigsaw?

> Is there a way to retain some form of binary compatibility maybe
> through `groovy-compat` that contains the old call site caching?

That depends. If we want to change Closure to be a functional interface
for example, then not really. groovy-compat would have to transform the
code using Groovy. Or we have a transform that will force the program to
use the old closures, then we can still solve the issue.

In other words, I think we should develop freely till we have what we
want and then think about how to make things compatible again.

bye Jochen