groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Groovy Roadmap
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:46:05 GMT

On 31.01.2017 09:37, C├ędric Champeau wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> There are multiple conversations going on for weeks, and I think they
> are going nowhere. We could discuss for months what's the best plan for
> Groovy, without releasing anything. Here are the challenges that are
> waiting for us:
>
> 1. release a version of Groovy that integrates Groovy macros
> 2. upgrade the minimal runtime required for Groovy to 1.7, which is
> required to smoothly transition to higher requirements (and also, make
> our devs lives easier)
> 3. upgrade the minimal runtime required for Groovy to 1.8, allowing us
> to drop the old call site caching and use indy Groovy everywhere
> 4. integrate Parrot, which replaces the use of Antlr2 with Antlr4
> 5. compatibility with Jigsaw, aka "Groovy as a module"
 >
> I would like to propose the following plan:
>
> - Groovy 2.5: integrates 1 and 2, to be released ASAP, we've been
> waiting for this for too long
> - Groovy 2.6: integrate 4, implying backporting Parrot to Java 7
> - Groovy 3.0: integrate 3 and 5. The only version with necessary
> breaking changes (we have no choice here)

If you insist on a removal of antlr2, then this will be a breaking
change, since we leak antlr2 classes in several places. 2.6 is then only
an option if antlr2 stays. And considering your earlier statements that
there should be only one parser, that means 2.6 has to be 3.0.

And considering that there is now a Java7 version of Parrot and that
there will be at least two major versions before we are on JDK8... why
not just go with 3.0 right away?

So my -1 based on your argumentation from my side. An alternative plan:

no 2.5
- 3.0 with macro methods and Java7 and parrot
- 4.0 java8 and jigsaw

bye Jochen