groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Sun <realblue...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: About actor syntax for Groovy 3
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2017 17:46:32 GMT
Hi Andres,

      If Scala was the sun, I wish Groovy was an eclipse ;)

      Maybe adding custom syntax for actor is not good idea for a programming language. But
as a programming language, Groovy should learn good things from others to keep evolving and
competitiveness. (like C# and Java)

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

在 "Andres Almiray [via Groovy]" <ml-node+s329449n5737576h14@n5.nabble.com>,2017年1月8日
上午1:28写道:

This is a slippery slope IMHO.

Adding custom syntax support in core for GPars might sound like a good idea given the fact
that GPars is bundled with core. OTOH what about Spock, Grails, Ratpack and others? Wouldn't
they benefit from custom syntax too? probably yes. Are they bundled with core? no, and they
shouldn't.

My recommendation would be to prototype an AST transformation that can support the syntax,
just like Spock does it.

One more thing, I would be very sad to see Groovy become a pale shade of Scala. Custom syntax
and new operators are pushing Groovy in that direction.

Cheers
Andres

Sent from my primitive Tricorder

http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/About-actor-syntax-for-Groovy-3-tp5737574p5737576.html
NAML<http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>