groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: release process
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2017 15:59:59 GMT

On 24.01.2017 15:51, C├ędric Champeau wrote:
> The main problem is parrot is that it requires Java 8, and 2.5 is
> planned to support 1.7. And bundling such a core thing as an
> experimental, optional module is a no-go for me (imagine the bug
> reports...). We could have a 2.9 release (or something similar) with
> Parrot sooner, though.
>
> (as a side note, any release of Groovy that would require Java 8 would
> be a no-go for Gradle in short term, be it 2.x or 3.x)

you misunderstand one essential part here. The parrot module would
require java8, building Groovy would require Java8, executing Groovy
would not require Java8 as long as parrot is not used. We have often
parts of Groovy that require a higher version than the minimum one. At a
time we required java5, but had a module for java6. Same for java7. Had
we go with some proposals we would also have a java8 part while still
requiring java7 as minimal version for Groovy.

bye Jochen