groovy-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Scholte" <rfscho...@apache.org>
Subject Groovy+Java9 status?
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2016 16:55:06 GMT
Hi,

for Apache Maven I've started to create Jenkins jobs to verify if our
(sub)projects can be built with JDK9/Jigsaw.
For the integration tests of our maven plugins we often use the
maven-invoker-plugin, which has the option to run a preBuildHookScript and
postBuildHookScript to put the plugin in a certain state and to verify the
results. The plugin supports Groovy and BeanShell out of the box.

I know for Groovy to support Java9 is a real challenge. We should be able
to help confirming that all still works well with Java9.

Concrete I see issues like below and can't find any references in Jira:
e.g. with groovy-all-2.4.7 I get the following exception:

[INFO] Building: reportConfig\pom.xml
[INFO] run script verify.groovy
[INFO] ..FAILED (9.4 s)
[INFO]   The post-build script did not succeed. No signature of method:
java.io.File.exists() is applicable for argument types: () values: []
Possible solutions: print(java.lang.Object), write(java.lang.String),
print(java.io.PrintWriter), with(groovy.lang.Closure),
is(java.lang.Object), printf(java.lang.String, [Ljava.lang.Object;)

I can see what the issue is (Groovy's File versus JRE File), and I'm
wondering what to expect: will this be fixed in Groovy, or do we have to
rewrite a huge amount of scripts? I really hope the first.

thanks,
Robert

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Java+9+-+Jigsaw