groovy-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel.Sun" <realblue...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Custom operator for Groovy 3
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2016 01:39:12 GMT
Hi Jochen,

      I tried to implement custom operator based on your new idea and found it a bit ambiguous,
e.g. ".<" is ambiguous to "obj.hello('Daniel')", ".*" is ambiguous to "import java.util.*",
etc. So I reserve the "`" notation for the time being.

     To extend your new idea:
a `>?` b === a."`>?`"(b) // binary expression
the following syntax will be useful too:
`?` a === "`?`"(a) // unary expression
a `?` === a."`?`"() // postfix expression

    As you can see, with double "`" quoted, all the three syntax are natural.

      Any thoughts? ;-)

Cheers,
Daniel.Sun

在 "Jochen Theodorou [via Groovy]" <ml-node+s329449n5736402h20@n5.nabble.com>,2016年10月30日
下午8:16写道:

On 30.10.2016 11:07, Daniel.Sun wrote:

> Hi Paolo,
>
>       There are some limitations when we use antlr to define grammar, so the
> backticks are used to distinguish with other operators.
>
>       I saw an answer from Jochen(shown as follow), so I tryied to add this
> experimental feature
>
>       "We always wanted the ability to define an operator through the user in
> Groovy, but so far we haven't gotten around the problems that come along
> with that."
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6485861/is-it-possible-to-define-a-new-operator-in-groovy/10848093#10848093

I actually gave up on custom operators for a bit.

In Scala you have a natural mapping of "a + b" to a."+"(b). But in
Groovy that would be a(+).b. That means binary expressions and command
expressions follow different patterns. That means in a+b+c we do not
naturally get (a+b)+c, we get a(+).b(+).c. This is what makes you
require special characters to distinguish operators and command
expressions in the usage of those

And if you change precedence rules like you described... a + b + c  is
(a+b)+c while a + b "`x`" c  would become a+(b "`x`" c) instead.

But to develop the idea... how about saying that everything between dot
and an identifier is an operator? So a .x c would be a.x(c).. well that
looks obvious, but a .>? c becomes a.">?"(c). This kind of logic would
reduce the need for special characters and be in line with existing
syntax. And at the same time precedence rule would be clear. a + b .>? c
would be a+(b.">?"(c)) and a .>? b +c would become (a.">?"(b))+c

bye Jochen

http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/Custom-operator-for-Groovy-3-tp5736388p5736402.html
NAML<http://groovy.329449.n5.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>