groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Andres Almiray <aalmi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal - Pattern matching elixir way
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2016 09:12:51 GMT
This kind of idea is why I love AST xforms: you can play around with a feature without forcing
a syntax change into Groovy core.

This is exactly what happened with @TailRecursive. The feature proved to be good enough for
80% of the cases, for the remaining it was either verbose or required a true syntax change.
It's likely this enhanced switch will encounter the same fate.

My suggestion: continue developing the feature as a standalone module, push binaries to bintray/maven
central. That way you can get quicker feedback from a broader audience. When the time is right,
we can revisit adding the feature into core.

Please don't get me wrong, the feature has merit but I think it requires a bit more work to
further understand the ramifications of adding it to core. After all, we don't want Groovy
to become a kitchen-sink language, drag down by complexity to later try to save face and claim
it's a simple language and that you need to read 10 papers to understand why is that, do we?
;-)

Cheers
Andres

Sent from my primitive Tricorder