groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Tatai Márton <tataimarton...@gmail.com>
Subject Separating the Groovy compiler and runtime?
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2016 09:22:51 GMT
Hello!

I am trying to understand the Groovy language, and something keeps bugging
me. I thought I'd ask a question to maybe help my investigation along.

I was surprised to see that the "lightest" distribution of Groovy still
contains an embedded version of antlr, asm (I suppose it's embedded to
ensure these classes are not overridden).
I can see that this is necessary to be able to compile and add Groovy code
to the JVM at runtime.
My question is: Is it possible to separate the compiler from the other
classes which are responsible for running the compiled Groovy code?
In my hypothetical scenario there would be a groovy-runtime jar, and a
groovy-compiler jar, and only if my application needed dynamic compilation
of Groovy scripts would I include the groovy-compiler. The groovy-runtime
would be sufficient to run already compiled Groovy programs.
I'm guessing the runtime system must have some inherent dependency on the
compiler that I have not figured out yet.

Thank you very much for your help
Marton