groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: Separating the Groovy compiler and runtime?
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2016 11:22:00 GMT
On 26.11.2016 10:22, Tatai Márton wrote:
[...]
> My question is: Is it possible to separate the compiler from the other
> classes which are responsible for running the compiled Groovy code?
> In my hypothetical scenario there would be a groovy-runtime jar, and a
> groovy-compiler jar, and only if my application needed dynamic
> compilation of Groovy scripts would I include the groovy-compiler. The
> groovy-runtime would be sufficient to run already compiled Groovy programs.
> I'm guessing the runtime system must have some inherent dependency on
> the compiler that I have not figured out yet.

It is probably possible to make a groovy-runtime.jar, which does not
contain the compiler. It would require a few changes here and there, but
all-in-all I think it can be done. The other way around would actually
require a much, much bigger change, simply because the compiler compiles
against classes from the runtime.... and in some parts actually uses the
runtime. So groovy-compiler would require groovy-runtime, but not the
other way around

bye Jochen