groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: restructuring sources
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 22:37:29 GMT
On 04.11.2016 23:20, Jochen Theodorou wrote:
> On 04.11.2016 18:03, C├ędric Champeau wrote:
>> +1, I also want to restructure the Gradle build at some point. It's
>> really inefficient as it is now.
>
> the "only" trouble is... to get a fully working groovy compiler we need
> some classes which reference classes of the runtime. To just name a few:
> * CompilationUnit: referencing GroovyClassLoader
> * ClassHelper: referencing about every groovy.lang class... and from
> there it goes to the runtime
>
> CompilationUnit is something that could be fixed... but it is a breaking
> change. But in case of ClassHelper it is almost a conceptual problem. I
> cannot even use Reflection instead of direct class usage, because I
> really need the information from those. Which means I would have to
> manually build the ClassNode for each of these classes including
> generics. And even then... once somebody wants to call getTypeClass on
> these, there is trouble

nope, I think this will not work.... I mean the static compiler will
also need the classes

so I guess the only possible split is between java code independent of
groovy and mixed groovy/java code

hm... what if we use an older Groovy version to let the antlr plugin to
compile against? Frankly that is a general strategy we should consider.
It is not uncommon in the world of compilers

bye Jochen