groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: Lambda expression for Groovy 3
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2016 08:51:44 GMT

On 19.10.2016 09:09, C├ędric Champeau wrote:
> First of all, great work, Daniel ! I'm confident that making the
> "lambdas" be "closures" in Groovy is enough.

I think it won't be enough for :: and MethodClosures. Actually, Daniel,
are those supported in the new Grammar and what are they mapped to?

> I stated it in the past but
> I'm going to repeat myself here, I don't think having 2 syntax for
> "closures/lambdas" with slightly different semantics would help our
> users/language.

They should have the semantics of Closure, then it is probably good.

> That said, the static compiler can do better, doing
> escape analysis, and using "real" lambdas when the target bytecode is 8,
> as an optimization.

In Groovy 3 I do plan to make out Closures behave similar to lambdas. Of
course with the additional problem of Closure not being a functional
interface... well... let's not get started on MOP2 here ;)

bye Jochen