groovy-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Adamson" <jwadam...@us.ibm.com>
Subject ant wrapper script testing
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2016 13:18:13 GMT

I have been doing some work on trying to correct errors in the ant shell
script with how special characters and whitespace and handled in arguments.

I have a scratch branch in github. I do forced pushes as I clean it up and
try new things, so beware forking.
https://github.com/jwadamson/ant-1/tree/shell-detection

I do trials by running a script test.sh:
   #!/bin/sh
   ./bin/ant --execdebug \
     "-Dfoo=dollar\$_backtick\`_single'_double\"\"_trailingbackslash\\" \
     "-Dbar=trailingnewline
   " \
     "-Dnewline=
   " \
     "-Ddoublespace=  " \
     "-Dx=y" \
     "-f" "test.xml"

where test.xml is simply
   <project default="run">
       <target name="run">
           <echo message="hello world"/>
           <echo message="foo=${foo}_"/>
           <echo message="bar=${bar}_"/>
           <echo message="newline=${newline}_"/>
           <echo message="doublespace=${doublespace}_"/>
           <echo message="end"/>
       </target>
   </project>

The trailing _ characters are so that echo task does not trim the output
for trailing whitespace scenarios.

The only solution I have found to date that avoids all behavior quirks such
as echo, sed, awk, and whitespace handling is a bashism/ksh-ism. So that
does not work for ubuntu's /bin/sh. I have not figured out a universal
correct script for dash (ubuntu) yet.
It may be worth detecting bash to leverage that, and call other things
"close enough" :-(.

I have run the script with bash, ksh, and dash under Ubuntu and Mac.
Csh and tcsh do not seem to work (do we expect them to?)
I do not have an HP-UX or Solaris setup yet (though there are vbox images
for Solaris).

I may not have much time for more testing today, but would appreciate any
advise:
1) from people with Solaris and HP-UX and AIX
2) thoughts on introducing shell detection and bashisms into the script
3) how to do a clean string substitution or sed/awk based replacement that
doesn't munge newline and trailing spaces
4) anything else that appears fishy in the test cases

Regards,
Jeff Adamson