groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: getting in line for the releases of groovy 2.4.8 and 2.5.0-beta-1
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2016 08:29:48 GMT
On 20.10.2016 09:28, Cédric Champeau wrote:
> I don't think it's reasonable to put the new parser in 2.5. There are
> too many grey areas: performance, backwards compatibility, dependencies,
> upgrade to Java 8... Better ship 2.5, then work hard on 3.0, even if it
> means delaying MOP2 to 4.0.

first of all it is a beta. Doing experimental stuff in a beta must be
allowed. If we move the parser to 3.0 it will take ages before it gets
really tested. A beta is also about finding the black holes in the grey
areas and otherwise fill it with light. I don´t know if things changed
since we are at apache, but the only more broadly user tested versions
of groovy are released versions. Rarely somebody builds Groovy from
source or uses an artifact from our ci server. Not on a regular base
anyway and not to test new features.

bye Jochen