groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: getting in line for the releases of groovy 2.4.8 and 2.5.0-beta-1
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2016 23:52:33 GMT
On 19.10.2016 18:11, Mario Garcia wrote:
> Does anyone have any idea of how long is going to take the new parser to
> be ready ? It's a matter of weeks, months, maybe days? I think that
> information would help to plan future releases.

I just made an experiment in which I moved the antlr2 parser in its own
sub project and the java compilation in the main project is supposed to
be done without the antlr part, by solely working on abstractions.

Well, it turns out we have several dependencies on antlr classes in
SourceUnit, GenericsUtils and Numbers, most possibly in more parts. If
we want to be truly able to use only the new parser, then we need to
clean these things up. Especially depending on antlr exceptions looks
very wrong to me. But also this construct:

>             AntlrParserPlugin plugin = new AntlrParserPlugin() {
>                 @Override
>                 public ModuleNode buildAST(final SourceUnit sourceUnit, final ClassLoader
classLoader, final Reduction cst) throws ParserException {
>                     ref.set(makeTypeWithArguments(rn.getAST()));
>                     return null;
>                 }
>             };

which can be found in GenericsUtils, but also in
MarkupTemplateTypeCheckingExtension.

If we want to fix these, it surely is not a matter of a few days. We
could do without fixing these and work on having them fixed for the next
2.5 beta release. Without fixing these the GroovyShell might get
problems if you want to use any new syntax element.

What do others here think?

bye Jochen