groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: Custom operator for Groovy 3
Date Sun, 30 Oct 2016 17:43:03 GMT
On Sun, 2016-10-30 at 10:06 +0100, C├ędric Champeau wrote:
> I'm -1 on adding custom operators. We always said we wouldn't fall
> into the
> same trap as C++ or Scala, but instead allow overriding existing
> operators.

I like custom operators as in Algol-68 and Scala. It is just that some
Scala codes take things too far, showing a lack of self-restraint, and
inability to read. This however is not a reason to abandon the idea.
Consider that C++ and Python both restrict the overloading to the
operators known to the compiler. Note that Java removed this because it
was too hard for programmers to understand. Note that Groovy has
reintroduced this because programmers wanted it. Also that Scala and
Kotlin have followed suit and/or gone further.

There is a balance between condescension and authoritarianism (which a
number of programming languages are now following) and leaving it to
the programmer to do the right thing at the risk of them not, but it is
their problem.  I am not a fan of condescending authoritarianism.

--
Russel.