groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Remi Forax <fo...@univ-mlv.fr>
Subject Re: TeamCity back on track
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2016 06:56:56 GMT

yes,
the release of jdk9 was postponed in part because jigsaw is still not feature freeze,
The rules surrounding setAccessible are hard to get right, we have already re-open that issue
twice :(

> Our commitment that Gradle 3 runs on JDK 9 isn't true anymore, and it's hard to
> fix. Especially, the second exception you are seeing comes from a 3rd party
> library. I'm pretty sure we will face tons of those issues, especially in an
> environment where plugins are legion.

The elephant i see is that now that IBM (and Google is around the corner) uses the OpenJDK,
the OpenJDK implementation becomes the defacto standard so recent 3rd party libraries tend
to use OpenJDK specifics in their implementation. Before, it was less an issue because there
was multiple implementations of the JDK. If we don't do something now, the platform will calcified
and we will not be able to change anything in the OpenJDK in the future.
I understand that breaking a 3rd party library doesn't let a lot of option apart fixing the
library itself or removing the use of it. But the future i see if we don't do that now is
the death of innovation of the Java platform.

regards,
Rémi

>> On 18.09.2016 15:03, Remi Forax wrote:

>>> class java.lang.ClassLoader (in module java.base) with modifiers
>>> "protected"
>>> at
>>> java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.Reflection.throwIllegalAccessException(Reflection.java:405)
>>> at
>>> java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.Reflection.throwIllegalAccessException(Reflection.java:396)
>>> at
>>> java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.Reflection.ensureMemberAccess(Reflection.java:98)
>>> at
>>> java.base/ java.lang.reflect.Ac
>>> cessibleObject.slowCheckMemberAccess(AccessibleObject.java:359)
>>> at
>>> java.base/ java.lang.reflect.Ac
>>> cessibleObject.checkAccess(AccessibleObject.java:351)
>>> at java.base/ java.lang.reflect.Me thod.invoke(Method.java:529)
>>> at
>>> org.gradle.internal.reflect.JavaMethod.invoke(JavaMethod.java:77)