So I managed to get the `groovy-xml` module build pass and test with Jigsaw. It requires the latest snapshot of Gradle, and confirms that using `-release` instead of {`-source`, `-target`, `-addmods`} work. There's a big drawback with using `-release` though. Typically `groovy-core` uses the API of JDK 7 (for invokedynamic) but we generate Java 6 bytecode. It's not possible to do this with `-release`, so we still have to rely on the "old" options.

Our build is still not fully Jigsaw compatible, there are still a significant number of errors, including spurious classloading issues: https://scans.gradle.com/s/jaefpwpny743e

On 09.07.2016 09:03, Remi Forax wrote:

----- Mail original -----
De: "Jochen Theodorou" <blackdrag@gmx.org>
À: dev@groovy.apache.org
Envoyé: Vendredi 8 Juillet 2016 21:51:18
Objet: Re: JDK 9 Jigsaw builds

actually, I think I did see somewhere that JDK9 will support only 8 and
7 as targets. Maybe someone can confirm that.

not at all !

It's not the JDK, it's just javac.

ups, yes, I did mean javac.

javac only support 4 releases, it's not something new, i think that policy was introduced with javac 7,
to be able to remove old code. So javac 9 support 9, 8, 7, and 6. And for the last supported platform, javac emits a warning.

4, ok, I had something like the current plus the last two in mind. Seems I did remember wrong and seems like we then can still go with 1.6 as target level then.

so on my laptop,

$ /usr/jdk/jdk-9/bin/javac -source 1.5 Foo.java
warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with -source 1.5
error: Source option 1.5 is no longer supported. Use 1.6 or later.

$ /usr/jdk/jdk-9/bin/javac -source 1.6 Foo.java
warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction with -source 1.6
warning: [options] source value 1.6 is obsolete and will be removed in a future release
warning: [options] To suppress warnings about obsolete options, use -Xlint:-options.
3 warnings

I see, thanks.

bye Jochen