groovy-dev mailing list archives

From John Wagenleitner <john.wagenleit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JDK 9 Jigsaw builds
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2016 14:29:11 GMT
On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 6:58 AM, Russel Winder <russel@winder.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 2016-07-08 at 14:34 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:
> > Turns out it is not a Groovy or Gradle thing, it seems the Java
> > executable doesn't like the options it advertises it responds to.

> > Unrecognized option: -addmods
> > Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
> > Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
>

> Anyone know the difference between _JAVA_OPTIONS and JAVA_OPTIONS?

I believe _JAVA_OPTIONS can be used to pass default options to the JVM and
takes precedence over command line arguments you would normally want to
pass to java/javac and other jvm tools.  There's also JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS but
it is lowest in priority and _JAVA_OPTIONS and command line parameters are
used first in that order.

I'm not aware of a JAVA_OPTIONS.  There is a lot of use of JAVA_OPTS but
that is not read by any of the JVM tools to my knowledge, unlike the
_JAVA_OPTIONS and JAVA_TOOL_OPTIONS which there exists code in hotspot to
read those env vars.  JAVA_OPTS seems to be just a conventional name used
by many scripts use it when they call the java executible (i.e., java
%JAVA_OPTS% ....).