groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: JDK version for Groovy
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2016 07:10:16 GMT

On 07.07.2016 17:25, C├ędric Champeau wrote:
> Gradle 3.0 will require JDK 7. Gradle 2.x can run on JDK 6. I'm not a
> big fan of "backporting". To me it's easier to complete 2.5 with JDK 7
> now, then switch master to 3.0 and upgrade to JDK 8 there.

Gradle 3 is the only reason to even make the switch from JDK6 to JDK8. I
imagine if we would not want to use Gradle3 we would still switch to
JDK8 or newer in Groovy 3, but stay with JDK6 otherwise.

> One of the
> reasons I would consider this decision touchy is that Gradle would then
> not be able to migrate to Gradle 3, at least until Gradle 4.0. But,
> given the large number of plugins written in Groovy today, upgrading
> would be a problem anyway if Groovy 3 breaks binary compatibility.

What do you think will be the smallest relatively realistic time frame
for the arrival of Gradle 4? About 2 years again?

bye Jochen