A 2.5 BETA release would be fantastic, if possible!

Two questions:
- has the (new apache) release process been automated?

No

- can we have regular (automated) releases? e.g. monthly?

No, because that's against the Apache policy: releases *must* be voted, and that's a human process.

Kind regards,
Nick