groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Northrop <james.b.north...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: http://www.groovy-lang.org/ down
Date Sun, 22 May 2016 20:25:51 GMT
Just did 2 DNS name changes this afternoon using goDaddy and worked flawlessly with no changed
required to my internal server. So i'm a bit puzzled why this should be a biggie 😳

Sent from my iPad

> On 22 May 2016, at 20:20, Guillaume Laforge <glaforge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And... it's back now!
>
> Sorry again for the inconvenience, but this was really beyond our control unfortunately.
>
> Regarding your points, Steve:
>
> 1) If a company is stupid to "abandon" a great language like Groovy, too bad for them
;-)

> 2) Well, we can't control perception obviously, and I didn't envision a simple DNS domain
name transfer would fail so bad. Normally, this kind of process should really be smooth. So
it's really really unfortunate that the ASF infra couldn't handle that appropriately and timely.
To their defense, it's mostly a team of non-paid volunteers, relying on services granted for
free by third-parties, and in this instance, it was really not a smooth and reliable process.

> 3) We're at the wheel, don't worry, even if not full time like we used to.
> Reverting the process wasn't possible, as once you've made the move to transfer a domain
name, you can't take it back, so I couldn't have been able to reclaim it. And since the Apache
foundation mandates that such domain names be in their control, we would have had to go through
that process anyway. So reverting to try again later would have run the risk of two such downtimes,
which would be even worse.

> Guillaume
>
>> On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 4:39 PM, Steve Byrne <sbyrne007@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What about backing out the change for now?  This is looking really bad...think about
how it looks from the outside:

>> 1) Pivotal appears to "abandon" Groovy as a language -- does not send a positive
signal about the language's future prospects

>> 2) _Without warning_ the groovy-lang.org site *DISAPPEARS*.   "Oh well,", people
think, "looks like Groovy is done for.  _Glad we did not make that decision to depend on Groovy
for our go-forward technology_"

>> 3) The problem isn't being corrected.  This looks like either a) nobody is "a the
wheel" (of the car), or b) the folks behind Groovy (whomever they are, again I am speaking
as it would appear to the outside) are just really incompetent, and again "we're glad we did
not decide to invest development resources into using Groovy", or, "Wow, after Pivotal abandoning
Groovy, and now the whole Groovy lang site disappearing _in the middle of the night_", we'd
better move off Groovy -- too much risk"

>> *It's time to back out this change*.  Get groovy-lang.org back on the air ASAP!
Let Apache figure out their issue in parallel, but don't leave this gaping and bleeding wound
untreated any longer.  It really looks bad, and I think still at this point, Groovy as a language/runtime/technology
cannot afford to look bad, after item 1 above happened.

>> I really like Groovy and would hate to lose it because of this silly indecent.  And,
not having access to groovy-lang.org (and all the docs about the GDK) is hampering my development
(yeah, I could have a local copy, that I replicate onto _each_ of my machines and keep up
to date, but why bother?).

>> Here's hoping you make the right decision,
>> Steve
>>
>>> On May 22, 2016, at 5:11 AM, Guillaume Laforge <glaforge@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Pascal,
>>>
>>> Yes, please see my messages to the users list.
>>>
>>> Here's the Apache Infra ticket tracking this:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-11843
>>>
>>> We've launched the transfer of the domain name to the ASF, but unfortunately,
this is not yet resolved :-(

>>> It's becoming painful, to say the list, and I get inquiries through emails, twitter
and elsewhere about it... I hope the Infra team will be able to resolve that soon. It's already
been so long :-(