groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Byrne <sbyrne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: groovy-lang.org down for now
Date Sun, 22 May 2016 16:10:38 GMT

> On May 22, 2016, at 8:58 AM, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org> wrote:
>
> On 22.05.2016 16:40, Steve Byrne wrote:
>> [Copying from dev@groovy]
>>
>> What about backing out the change for now?  This is looking really
>> bad...think about how it looks from the outside:
>>
>> 1) Pivotal appears to "abandon" Groovy as a language -- does not send a
>> positive signal about the language's future prospects
>
> Why is the perception of an outside person here only a "appears"? Oh and don't forget
blaming Pivotal for that.

Well, they did cease support for business reasons.  But, if someone who is not looking closely
just notes in passing that Groovy was cast out, the inference one might make is that Pivotal
lost faith in Groovy's viability.  And thus, perhaps, the observer should too, or at least
cal into question their reliance (current or planned) on this language.

>> 2) _Without warning_ the groovy-lang.org <http://groovy-lang.org> site
>> *DISAPPEARS*.   "Oh well,", people think, "looks like Groovy is done
>> for.  _Glad we did not make that decision to depend on Groovy for our
>> go-forward technology_"
> >
>> 3) The problem isn't being corrected.  This looks like either a) nobody
>> is "a the wheel" (of the car), or b) the folks behind Groovy (whomever
>> they are, again I am speaking as it would appear to the outside) are
>> just really incompetent, and again "we're glad we did not decide to
>> invest development resources into using Groovy", or, "Wow, after Pivotal
>> abandoning Groovy, and now the whole Groovy lang site disappearing _in
>> the middle of the night_", we'd better move off Groovy -- too much risk"
>
> You can add
>
> 148.251.23.208 groovy-lang.org
>
> to your hosts file to get the DNS entry right. It is important to mention its temporary
nature though. This bypasses the DNS system, and the IP will change in the future.

Thanks!! This should have been posted to this and dev@groovy on FRIDAY I think.  Has it been
announced on Twitter, G+, etc?  I haven't seen it, but doesn't mean it didn't happen.

At least saying "we know about it, it's because of the transition, here's what you can do
for now" fixes the perception that it's just "gone away".

Heck, I'd register the domain myself even if it's for a short while just to get this going
again -- Apache seems to have really fallen down on this one.

Steve