groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Alain Stalder <astal...@span.ch>
Subject Re: To ClassValue or not to ClassValue: That is the question!
Date Mon, 09 May 2016 21:17:22 GMT
Thanks a lot for the info :)

I am still trying to figure out an example of something that leaks
classes on Groovy 2.4.6 with groovy.use.classvalue=true.

Looking at the corresponding JSR issue,
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8136353 I see the following two
attached Java files:

--- CVTest.java ---

import java.lang.ClassValue;
import java.io.File;
import java.net.URLClassLoader;
import java.net.URL;

public class CVTest {

     public static void main(String[] args) throws Throwable {
         for (long i = 0; i<10000000; i++) {
             File dir = new File("t/t.jar");
             URLClassLoader classLoader = new URLClassLoader(new
URL[]{dir.toURI().toURL()});
             ClassValue cv = (ClassValue)
classLoader.loadClass("MyClassValue").newInstance();
             Object value = cv.get(Integer.TYPE);
             assert value !=null;
             assert value.getClass().getClassLoader() == classLoader;
             classLoader.close();
         }

     }
}

--- MyClassValue.java ---

import java.lang.ClassValue;
import java.lang.Class;

public class MyClassValue extends ClassValue {
     static class Dummy {
       static Object o;
     }
     protected Object computeValue(Class type) {
         Dummy ret = new Dummy();
         Dummy.o = this;
         return ret;
     }
}

I compiled both and put the classes resulting from the latter into
"t/t.jar", CVTest.class into "." and then ran the test program with

    java -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=64m -cp . CVTest

and within a few seconds this filled up Metaspace and crashed with an
"OutOfMemoryError: Metaspace".

Next I compared the test code with how things are implemented in Groovy
and found a difference that might be significant:

--- ClassInfo.java (excerpt) ---

     private static final GroovyClassValue<ClassInfo> globalClassValue =
GroovyClassValueFactory.createGroovyClassValue(new
ComputeValue<ClassInfo>(){
         @Override
         public ClassInfo computeValue(Class<?> type) {
             ClassInfo ret = new ClassInfo(type);
             globalClassSet.add(ret);
             return ret;
         }
     });

     private static final GlobalClassSet globalClassSet = new
GlobalClassSet();

Again the class for the variable returned by computeValue contains a
static field which contains a reference to the object.

*But there is a crucial difference:* In the example from the JSR, the
class Dummy is loaded by the same class loader as MyClassValue, whereas
in groovy, ClassInfo is typically loaded only once, at least not per
compiled script class.

So I refactored the example from the JSR to be closer to the situation
in Groovy:

--- Dummy.java ---

public class Dummy {
     public static Object o;
}

--- MyClassValue.java ---

import java.lang.ClassValue;
import java.lang.Class;

public class MyClassValue extends ClassValue {
     protected Object computeValue(Class type) {
         Dummy ret = new Dummy();
         Dummy.o = this;
         return ret;
     }
}

And I compiled both, this time adding only MyClassValue.class to
"t/t.jar" and putting Dummy.class and CVTest.class in ".", and ran the
same command as above again.

No leak this time, classes are garbage collected.

*Can anyone provide some Groovy test code that shows a class leak with
groovy 2.4.6 and groovy.use.classvalue=true?*

It would be important to know under which situations this can happen.

And let me rephrase slightly: To ClassValue or not to ClassValue with
Groovy 2.4.6: That is the question! (as long as there is no 2.4.7)

Alain