groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: Progress on the Antlr4-based parser
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2016 12:52:08 GMT

On 07.03.2016 12:29, Jesper Steen Møller wrote:
[...]

> Just what you always needed, right? I only learned about it from working
> on the JDT compiler.

Hehe, yeah, I did too learn some strange constructs of Java, just by
trying to mimic what Java does no the syntax level

> Also - I’m also -1 on introducing these pretty much useless Java
> features — it’s not “gratuitous incompatibility”, but major
> complications without any use. I’ll keep a list, but stop asking…

hehe... outer.super() give me a real WTF moment here ;) I have no idea
what it does... even fantasy fails miserably here. It is actually more
important to keep the grammar maintainable, then to add every obscure
feature Java has to offer.

>>>  * ./benchmark/bench/heapsort.groovy uses access modfiers on the
>>>    script’s local variables — that’s not really allowed, is it? How
>>>    should that work? It can’t get it to work in Groovy 2.4.x
>>
>> You mean like "public static final long IM = 139968"? It does not
>> really make a semantic sense to allow this. For convenient copy&paste
>> this could be allowed... if it poses no problem, I think it would be
>> nice to have. But it is not really required
>>
> But what should it mean? Should it become fields in the Script class, or
> just be stripped of access and staticness and introduced as locals in
> the main() ?

yes

> Since it doesn’t work in Groovy now, I don’t understand why it’s in the
> repo at all…

I think this used to work before... which probably is why. If I would
find now out why we do not allow it anymore.... on the other hand this
is a strong indicator of not needing it as well... so ditch them ;) But
"final" you will need.

bye Jochen