groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject a new joint compiler
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2016 07:37:31 GMT
Hi all,

During transit I am these days working on a new joint compiler for
Groovy, one that handles Groovy transforms correctly and does not
require stubs (we can still create them).

The current current version works for several cases and is still
incomplete, but there are some decisions to make in which I would like
to ask the people here about their opinion.

The main point is actually about keeping the code in Groovy or not and
if to add the code to the Groovy codebase or not.

A Groovy based joint compiler will not be easy to integrate in our
build, if it is supposed to run with current Groovy. The joint compiler
on the other hand does not require any changes to the current compiler,
even though it could benefit from them. So in theory it would be
possible to use any Groovy 2.x with this joint compiler. I think that
could be interesting as well. Though I have done nothing about build
tools so far. At the very least the best way of integrating them will
require some thought - but I am not sure that just replacing what we
currently have in Groovy is the best way here. And I do like the idea of
using Groovy to build Groovy ;)

Changing the codebase to Java will surely at least double the lines of
code and some logic changes since I do require double dispatch in many
places. But I am still in a proof of concept phase, so there will
naturally be many lines of code more in the future as well.

And of course, if the integration of such a compiler is not wished for,
it would naturally become its own project.

So what do other people think about that?

bye Jochen