groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Clark Richey <cl...@factgem.com>
Subject Re: Groovy 3.0
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2016 17:05:34 GMT
That’s a good point. Now that you mention it I remember reading about it. I feel like the
majority of the Groovy user community really isn’t aware of this issue. While I realize
that very very companies are in a position to sponsor people for full-time Groovy development
positions, increasing community awareness will at least increase that possibility. It may
also increase the number of people that will spend their time contributing. What do you think
about having a page on the web site that provides at least basic information about the status
of on-going Groovy development? This will serve the dual purpose of letting people know that
Groovy development isn’t dead and heighten awareness of the current lack of support for
full time development of the language.

---

Clark D. Richey, Jr
CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER
240.252.7507
CLARK@FACTGEM.COM <mailto:CLARK@FACTGEM.COM>
WWW.FACTGEM.COM <http://www.factgem.com/>
> On Jan 28, 2016, at 9:07 PM, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org> wrote:
>

> On 29.01.2016 00:09, Clark Richey wrote:
>> Understood. My concern, and I believe it mirrors a concern held by
>> others, is that on the surface with no indications of beta releases,
>> road maps or any current development activity it looks like Groovy
>> development stalled when Codehaus dropped its support.
>
> just to clear up here something.. Codehaus has nothing to do with it. It was only a coincidence
that codehaus ended at the same time. It was EMC/VMWare/Pivotal that dropped support for Groovy
as part of a culling of the Spring team, just like VMWare did for most of VMWare Fusion and
Workstation teams just recently. We (Guillaume, Cedric and myself) failed to get a new sponsor
for fulltime jobs to work on Groovy, so each of us had to look for a new job, meaning less
time for Groovy.

> So naturally Groovy development will be slowed a lot unless others take the chance to
shine. And I have seen some very good pull requests in even difficult parts of Groovy.

> As for Groovy 3.... of course all the plans did depend on me not doing all the work alone,
and having a fulltime job for work on Groovy. Both conditions seem not to be met anymore,
thus I am unsure as of even how to tackle the problem. I did have some thoughts about that
of course: http://blackdragsview.blogspot.ch/2015/03/thoughts-about-new-meta-class-system.html