groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: Groovy 3.0
Date Fri, 29 Jan 2016 02:07:02 GMT

On 29.01.2016 00:09, Clark Richey wrote:
> Understood. My concern, and I believe it mirrors a concern held by
> others, is that on the surface with no indications of beta releases,
> road maps or any current development activity it looks like Groovy
> development stalled when Codehaus dropped its support.

just to clear up here something.. Codehaus has nothing to do with it. It
was only a coincidence that codehaus ended at the same time. It was
EMC/VMWare/Pivotal that dropped support for Groovy as part of a culling
of the Spring team, just like VMWare did for most of VMWare Fusion and
Workstation teams just recently. We (Guillaume, Cedric and myself)
failed to get a new sponsor for fulltime jobs to work on Groovy, so each
of us had to look for a new job, meaning less time for Groovy.

So naturally Groovy development will be slowed a lot unless others take
the chance to shine. And I have seen some very good pull requests in
even difficult parts of Groovy.

As for Groovy 3.... of course all the plans did depend on me not doing
all the work alone, and having a fulltime job for work on Groovy. Both
conditions seem not to be met anymore, thus I am unsure as of even how
to tackle the problem. I did have some thoughts about that of course:
http://blackdragsview.blogspot.ch/2015/03/thoughts-about-new-meta-class-system.html

bye Jochen