groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Edinson E. PadrĂ³n U. <edinson.padron.urdan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Groovy 3.0
Date Thu, 28 Jan 2016 23:16:54 GMT
Hi, Guillaume.

In my very humble opinion (and it should be noticed that I'm very far
away to know the Groovy community and language internals as well as you
do), the Python 2.x vs 3.x 'war' was due to mainly a very slow adoption
of the 3.x branch from the different third-party libraries. Even though
the 3.x branch is far better than  its predecessor, the community stuck
with the 2.x branch because of the incompatibility of the libraries
their depended on. It should be notice that a lot of third-party Python
libraries are poorly maintained or not maintained at all. Most of the
projects heavily used and supported where ported relatively quickly.
IMHO the Groovy ecosystem doesn't lack of support as many of the Python
libraries do. An awesome tool the Python's devs created was the 2to3
program to port almost every 2.x program to 3.x. That could be of help
in the Groovy 3 situation. Jigsaw is inevitable and that for itself
require to break backward compatibility. C++ and Java itself are two
languages who knows how problematic is to avoid at any cost breaking
backward compatibility and at least C++ can be a big pain some times
just because of that.

Cheers.