groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: Normalize line endings?
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2016 22:47:21 GMT
On 15.01.2016 22:41, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 07:20PM, Russel Winder wrote:
>> On Fri, 2016-01-15 at 19:57 +0100, Pascal Schumacher wrote:
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> should the line endings of all source files in git be normalized to
>>> "\n"?
>>>
>>> see the discussion at https://github.com/apache/groovy/pull/236
>>>

>> The answer to this has always been yes. Git strategy has always been
>> that Windows people should use the mapping capability in Git. Sadly not
>> everyone has always heeded this and there are large number of \r\n line
>> endings committed into the repository. This is wrong. No ifs, no buts.
>
> I'd say the issue is even deeper: sadly some are still using systems with
> \r\n line endings ;)

I am working on Groovy for several years now, and 90% of the time, this
was on a linux system. Still I have seen new files from me with \r\n
line endings. I do not really know why that is. I would be all for the
feature, if it would mean to force it for new files.... From a few I
know they have been from having to do work on a laptop, and those stupid
things run so bad with linux all the time.... my current one is such a
good example for this... well... I am going off track here

if two more people say they prefer forcing this line ending and
producing a gigantic commit, to overwrite hundreds of files (with ignore
whitespace you can at least make sure there is no new logic).... then I
will give up my position.

bye Jochen