groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: Release 2.4.6 and 2.5.0-beta?
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2016 18:58:50 GMT
On Wed, 2016-01-06 at 09:56 +0100, Jochen Theodorou wrote:
> […]
>
> I remember we have been discussing adding GPars to Groovy as
> subproject/module/something. This means the code would go to Apache
> and
> Apache rules will apply
>
> Is this still planed on the GPars side?

Not sure. Guillaume wanted to keep things separate whilst Groovy
settled down into being an Apache top level project. So in the short
term the intention was to keep things separate. Jim Northrop has been
doing fantastic work getting a new GPars website in place. However it
is all ASCIIDoctor based so could be integrated with the Groovy stuff.

Currently there are two versions of GPars v1 (JDK7 only) and GPars v2
(JDK8 and later). The question is whether this can be handled by Groovy
infrastructure. Or whether keeping GPars as an distributed artefact is
best.

I think my feeling is to let Groovy 2 and GPars 1 be for now, and only
consider an integration for a Groovy version that requires JDK8 and
higher. I would like to see an integration because I think the code is
integral to Groovy these days rather than being something in need of a
separate life. Yes in the past it was good to have separate lifecycles
for Groovy and GPars, but I am fairly sure this is not an issue now.
The GPars architecture and functionality is fairly settled, the "big
thing" is the shift to a Streams based (JDK8+) based version.

--
Russel.