groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Cédric Champeau <cedric.champ...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: challenges through Java modules (aka jigsaw)
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2015 12:49:18 GMT

> You can have breaking changes in the way the classes are seen from Java
> (and jigsaw) without having breaking changes when you use these classes
> from Groovy.
> By example, you can introduce a way to create type aliases to Groovy,
> given that, you can move Java classes around and keep the same references
> in the Groovy code.
>
> This would work only if a library is recompiled against the latest Groovy
version (and even more true if you use @CompileStatic), whereas the idea of
backwards compatibility is *not* to recompile everything. That is to say,
take Groovy N+1 and it is capable of running classes compiled with Groovy N.

> Also about groovy-all, you can create a module groovy-all that will
> require all other modules, no ?

Yes, but that's not the purpose of this module today. It's more for guys
who are too lazy to precisely determine all their Groovy module
dependencies and prefer to use groovy-all instead of groovy + "find all
modules that I use". Note that the simplification that I give is recent,
because a few releases ago, groovy-all contained repackaged ASM classes,
whereas groovy.jar did not. Now both have repackaged classes, making it
much more consistent and even less useful to use groovy-all.