groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Cédric Champeau <cedric.champ...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: challenges through Java modules (aka jigsaw)
Date Sat, 28 Nov 2015 09:21:41 GMT

> Given the funding of groovy changed last year, this situation will show
> what kind of support exists. I know my PRs are growing long beards.

Yeah, a large proportion of your PRs are tricky because they *might*
involve breaking changes. If we choose the breaking change way for Groovy
3, then it's not a problem anymore. Furthermore, I am much in favor of
rewritten modules for groovy console for example. One of the advantages of
going Apache is that we now have much more contributors and committers, I'm
pretty sure we can organize ourselves so that we have "subprojects" and can
work in parallel on topics that we are interested in.

> Maybe work on this could be modularized in smaller milestones, and be
> pursues over kickstarter or GSoC.

I don't think it's a very sane thing to rely on a kickstarter for an Apache
project, but why not.

> Also I remember another discussion where I put forward the idea of
> reducing the core codebase. Meaning to split out things like groovysh.

Oh yes. The smaller core, the better.