groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Heintze <sieg_hein...@yahoo.com>
Subject com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver with grapes/Maven?
Date Sun, 15 Nov 2015 23:40:47 GMT
After several hours I finally got my groovy sql demo working with the native Microsoft JDBC
driver instead of the jtds driver. What a pain this Microsoft driver is! Unfortunately, the
jtds driver is missing the integrated security feature.
(Actually, configuring the MS SQL Server ports to accommodate jtds is very painful too because
it takes a lot of google searching to discover the directions for opening up the correct ports
on MS SQL Server to accommodate the jtds driver but this is a digression).
Here is my version of groovy:
groovy -v
Groovy Version: 2.3.0-beta-2 JVM: 1.8.0_05 Vendor: Oracle Corporation OS: Windows 8.1
I just discovered http://www.groovy-lang.org/mailing-lists.html#nabble-td342217 which explains
that I have to define JAVA_OPTS with groovy instead of using -Djava.library.path=c:\sqljdbc_4.0\enu\auth\x64
directly on the command line like I can with java and now my groovy demo of jdbc/sql.newInstance
works.

(1) Is there a reason I have to define JAVA_OPTS instead of using the command line like I
do with java? (2) Is there a standard in maven for specifying where to store the JNI DLL
associate jar file? Is it supported with mvn install:intall-file?(3) Is there a feature in
grapes (or groovy in general) that will relieve me of having to specify the path of the DLL
in JAVA_OPTS? It seems logical that mvn install:install-file would copy the JNI DLL into
the repository so grapes would go to maven and discover JNI DLL and take the appropriate
action of defining JAVA_OPTS for me.(4) If the answer is no, can I make a request for such
a feature? Could the groovy developers just decide on a convention for putting the DLLs in
with the same directory with jar files in the maven repository? Or would this require a
feature request with maven too?

ThanksSiegfried