groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: challenges through Java modules (aka jigsaw)
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2015 18:22:33 GMT
On Fri, 2015-11-27 at 09:24 +0100, Cédric Champeau wrote:

[…]
> I think that's more or less strictly equivalent to the current
> situation:
> Groovy 2 "groovy-all" being a jigsaw module can be as simple as
> exporting
> all packages. And we don't even have to: just put the jar on
> classpath and
> it's done. The problem comes as soon as we want to restrict some
> things to
> internal packages. Today, all the Groovy classes are exposed.
> Everything
> belongs, de facto, to the public API. Also remember that we have
> limited
> resources. Having to maintain multiple jars + jigsaw + android
> flavors
> while we already have a combination of legacy Groovy + indy Groovy +
> android Groovy, it's just going to be a nightmare for Maven users (of
> course if you use Gradle it's much easier to substitute one
> transitive
> dependency with another).
>
> My position is that we have so many things to do that it's time to
> move
> forward. I wasn't in that mindset a few weeks ago, but now I think
> that we
> should take advantage that Java 9 is going to break everything in any
> case.
> Also, today, almost nobody use the invokedynamic version because it's
> too
> complicated to activate, because of transitive dependencies
> (libraries are
> built with legacy Groovy, but you want to use the indy version). So
> let's
> simplify everything once for all.

The indy artefact is the only one I use and only on JDK9. Sadly use of
invokedynamic is not the default.

What do you want GPars to do wrt the Groovy/JDK9 situation?

Sadly, currently the JDK8 version of GPars is in a mess, so the JDK7
version is all that works. I suspect 4 people in a days work could fix
almost all of it, but will such a hackathon happen at Groovy and Grails
eXchange 2015?

--
Russel.