Would be nice if we could maybe utilize git webhooks to cascade merges.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 11:52 AM, Thibault Kruse <tibokruse@googlemail.com> wrote:
There is an Apache policy that states that the "primary" repository of
any apache project must be an apache hosted one (not github,
bitbucket, etc).

https://www.apache.org/dev/project-requirements:
> The primary source control repository MUST be administered by the ASF Infra team on ASF hardware (currently, either using SVN or git). (citation needed)

Now, the word "primary" seems ambiguous to me in what is allowed and
what is not allowed, but apparently most apache project have decided
to be on the safe side that new commits should be added to the apache
repo first, and then synced to github, and never the other way round.
This prevents the github repo to smell like a "primary" repository,
even if most of the time, technically there is no difference in the
end result (same commits end up both at apache and github).
This means for merging native git commands have to be used by
committers instead of using the github UI to merge (you pull from
github, push to apache).
Since this is a bit of a pain it seems several projects provide
detailed instructions or custom scripts to help with that.

Examples for custom scripts for merging:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Merging+Github+Pull+Requests
https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/processing-pull-requests.md
https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr/blob/master/dev/README.md

I would also be curious if that is all that Cedric labelled as
painful, or whether there are more issues.

--
Thanks,

Daniel Hyun
blog: http://hyunlabs.com/