groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: PR and workflow [was [ANN] New committer: Shil Sinha]
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2015 11:47:28 GMT

> On Oct 23, 2015, at 1:18 AM, Russel Winder <russel@winder.org.uk> wrote:
>
> OK, so Apache still doesn't really get Git and GitHub oriented
> workflows,

Sure we do.

> it is still fundamentally a CVS/Subversion-based
> organization.

Yep. We are built around a single canonical repo that
you build a community and project around.

> What is the fundamental workflow problem that you feel is
> causing pain? Whatever it is, we must fix it, even if we have to
> subvert the current official "Apache Way" workflow.

Really? I assume that one reason Groovy joined the ASF is
so it could partake of the numerous successes enjoyed by
ASF projects which use and depend on the 'current official
"Apache Way" workflow', whatever that is.

> Having a workflow
> that works and is easy so that unpaid volunteers can actually achieve
> progress on the project, but nonetheless ends up with the Apache
> repository as mainline, is far, far, far more important than adherence
> to some particular quasi-political philosophy.

You do know, of course, that this workflow that has been used for
decades at the ASF was started by and built-around and designed-for
unpaid volunteers to do just that, right?