groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: PR and workflow [was [ANN] New committer: Shil Sinha]
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2015 07:58:42 GMT
On Fri, 2015-10-23 at 09:13 +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 7:18 AM, Russel Winder <russel@winder.org.uk>
> wrote:
> > ...Whatever it is, we must fix it, even if we have to
> > subvert the current official "Apache Way" workflow....
>
> I don't think there's an official Apache workflow related to GitHub
> usage, but if you want to dig into that it's probably worth looking
> how other projects do it. CouchDB and Cordova come to mind as early
> users of Git at the ASF.

As I had been led to believe, Apache rules demand that pull requests
from the GitHub-verse were not allowed to be merged on the GitHub
mainline repository and then that repository synced with the Apache
master mainline one. Instead committers have to faff around with
personal Git repositories and push changesets separately to the Apache
mainline and the GitHub mainline thereby losing all the support,
simplicity, and benefit of the whole GitHub pull request
infrastructure, and moreover making the whole process annoyingly
awkward.

> The best place for such cross-project discussions might be the
> dev@community.apache.org list, see http://community.apache.org/

I'll let C├ędric, Paul, Jochen, and Pascal take the lead on whether to
take this issue there. They are the people this impacts.

--
Russel.