groovy-dev mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <rus...@winder.org.uk>
Subject Re: PR and workflow [was [ANN] New committer: Shil Sinha]
Date Fri, 23 Oct 2015 05:18:28 GMT
On Thu, 2015-10-22 at 18:02 +0200, Cédric Champeau wrote:
> Agreed. The only downside of this is that it is very painful to merge
> PRs
> on the GitHub Apache mirror, and even more painful to backport
> changes.

OK, so Apache still doesn't really get Git and GitHub oriented
workflows, it is still fundamentally a CVS/Subversion-based
organization. What is the fundamental workflow problem that you feel is
causing pain? Whatever it is, we must fix it, even if we have to
subvert the current official "Apache Way" workflow. Having a workflow
that works and is easy so that unpaid volunteers can actually achieve
progress on the project, but nonetheless ends up with the Apache
repository as mainline, is far, far, far more important than adherence
to some particular quasi-political philosophy.

--
Russel.